You must have come across websites that play sound (some music) while you are visiting it. Some design sites, personal sites of stylists or e-cards and gift sites usually have such background sound, sometimes on the home page or to all the pages. Personally, I find it irritating. Though you can actually specify how many times the sound should be played after the page is loaded or should it be continuously played in a loop. But if you would like to add some music to your website, here is how you can do that.
To add a background sound
- Open the website and then open the web page in Design View.
- Right click the page and choose Page Properties.
- In the ‘Page Properties’ dialog box (see image below), under the General tab, in the Background Sound section, browse to the location of the sound file and choose the file and click Open.
- In the same window, to choose the duration of the sound, do either of the following:
- Check the Forever checkbox, to play the sound continuously unless the window is closed.
- Uncheck the above checkbox and enter/choose an integer to play the sound for a fixed number of times.
- The background sound would be added only on the page you are configuring on. To add it on other pages, follow the same steps on the other pages.
- The <bgsound /> tag is added when you add a sound to the page. This featureis not supported in Mozilla Firefox browsers.
To remove a background sound, in the General tab of the Page Properties window, delete the location under the Background sound.
TIP: As a good practice, provide the users with an option to turn off the sound.
Filed Under: Expression Web
About the Author: Minal is a freelance web and graphics designer. She specializes in designing Logos, Stationery, Graphics and Icons as well as website templates using graphical tools like Photoshop, Illustrator and Expression Web. Twitter @saffronstroke