I always fall short on fonts while designing logos and other web graphics. Wished I could create my own font. And guess now I do that. Well it’s a simple job. There are different softwares available to do this using your tablet. If you do not have a tablet; you can use your very old companion, ‘mouse’ to do the same job! Yeah, but a tablet gives you more control than your mouse.
While there are numerous products in the market that let you create your own font, I use ‘My Font Tool for Tablet PC’ by Microsoft to create my font. Download the My Font tool from Microsoft and install it on your machine.
Then follow these steps:
1. Click on Start (Windows) and open My Font Tool for Tablet PC.
Your screen would look similar to the image given above.
2. Now use your pen to write characters on your tablet in the boxes given below the letters, numbers and characters. You can also provide a signature.
3. Next switch to the Adjust Spacing tab. Here with a preview of sample text, you would be able to control the spaces between characters and words plus Line spacing. See image below:
4. Then switch to Compile Font tab. A preview memo is typed in a standard Windows font. In the Font Name text box, enter a name for your font and click Compile My Font. Wait for some time, before you see the compiled results of the memo displayed in your font.
5. Click on Save Font To File… and save the font in ‘.ttf’ (True Type Font) format.
You can also choose to Install Font On This Computer to automatically add your font in all the Windows programs that allow font selection.
Wasn’t that simple! And it takes only few minutes. All you need to do is experiment with your ideas and practice to get your hands on it.
Filed Under: Tablet PC Tips
About the Author: Minal is a freelance web and graphics designer. She specializes in designing Logos, Stationery, Graphics and Icons as well as website templates using graphical tools like Photoshop, Illustrator and Expression Web. Twitter @saffronstroke