In this tutorial we will learn how to place an image inside the text. Using this tutorial, you can create a great text effect to look like an image is inlayed into your text. Here is a preview of some effects you can create on your text using this tutorial.
Follow these steps:
1. Create a new document using File > New. In the New Document window specify the size for the art board and click OK.
2. Place the image you want to appear in the text. File > Place… > Browse for the image > Place.
3. Choose the Type Tool and draw a Type box anywhere on the art board, or for that matter even outside the art board. Do not worry about the position now, we will take care of that soon.
4. Now type in some text in the Type box. In this example, we use an image of ‘Chrysanthemum’ so I type the word ‘FLOWER’.
5. Choose a font that is towards thicker and bolder side, so that the image would be clearly visible inside the font.
6. Now position the text carefully over the portion of the image, which you want to be visible inside the text.
7. The next step is very important. The text always has to be on the top of the stacking order, so that the image is clipped into the text. So using the Selection Tool (V), select the Type box, go to Object > Arrange > Bring to Front.
8. Now using the Selection tool, select both; the image and the text, go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make.
This is what you would get;
9. To add some finishing touches to the text, we will give it a little outer glow.
With the type selected using the Selection tool, go to Effect > Stylize > Outer Glow… In the dialog box, switch on the Preview (check the box) and then experiment with the values. I created this;
Your text is now ready for use.
Filed Under: Adobe Illustrator
About the Author: Minal is a freelance web and graphics designer. She specializes in designing Logos, Stationery, Graphics and Icons as well as website templates using graphical tools like Photoshop, Illustrator and Expression Web. Twitter @saffronstroke