We all know that Adobe Illustrator is one of the best vector graphics editing tool. Since scaling vector graphics does not result in loss of resolution and quality of a graphic, it is easy to scale a vector graphic to any size or resolution. Whereas, Photoshop is the best image editing application for the web, print, and other media. Since it does not involve vectors, resizing images may result into a considerable loss of resolution.
In this tutorial, I will show you how simple it is to resize graphics in Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.
A. Launch Adobe Illustrator and open the graphic/image you want to resize (File > Open or File > Open Recent… if you have worked with the file recently). Follow the same step for Adobe Photoshop.
B. With the file open, go to File > Save for Web & Devices. In the ‘Save for Web & Devices’ window, do the following;
NOTE: The options in the ‘Save for Web & Devices’ window will be different in Illustrator and Photoshop. The screenshot and the explaination given in this tutorial applies more or less to both the applications, but is primarily done using Illustrator.
1. Tabs let you switch between various views. 2-Up would show your original image and the new image according to the format you choose, adjacently in the same frame.
2. Different tools like Hand Tool, Slice Select Tool, Zoom Tool, Eyedropper Tool and Toggle Slices Visibility.
3. Presets drop down lets you choose your preferred image format and quality settings from the list of Presets that Adobe Illustrator has created for you. If you want to choose your custom image format and quality, then use the different settings under the presets section to modify the settings.
4. Tabs like Color Table, Image Size and Layers give you additional control over your image. While resizing the graphic or image you may consider changing the dimensions of the image. The Image size tab lets you modify the dimensions of your image.
5. Displays the size of the original and new images for you to compare.
6. The buttons; Save lets you save the resized image in your preferred location. Cancel exits out of the window, without doing anything and the Done/Remember button will remember the settings.
About the Author: Minal is a freelance web and graphics designer. She specializes in designing Logos, Stationery, Graphics and Icons as well as website templates using graphical tools like Photoshop, Illustrator and Expression Web. Twitter @saffronstroke