Learn to create Rain Effect in Photoshop CS5, in this tutorial.
1. Launch Photoshop and open the picture over which you want to create the rain effect.
2. Create a new layer using the Layers palette (Window > Layers or F7). Choose the ‘New Layer’ icon (next to the bin icon) at the bottom of the palette.
3. Go to Filter > Render > Clouds. Then reduce the Opacity to 50.
NOTE: You can also convert the layer for Smart Filters (Filter > Convert for Smart Filters) in case you want to revert/modify the filters applied on the layer.
4. Go to Filter > Noise > Add Noise. The Amount of noise will decide the intensity of rain. I will go with 75%, but feel free to experiment with the values. Choose ‘Gaussian Distribution’ and ‘Monochromatic’.
5. Next we will add motion by Filter > Blur > Motion Blur… Adjust the angle for the rain drops and distance as shown below or to values of your choice.
6. Lastly set the Blending mode of the layer to ‘Screen’. This is how our picture will look;
Wasn’t that absolutely simple. Create such cool rain effect in your art work and write to me about it.
About the Author: Minal is a freelance web and graphics designer. She specializes in designing Logos, Stationery, Graphics and Icons as well as website templates using graphical tools like Photoshop, Illustrator and Expression Web. Twitter @saffronstroke