In this tutorial, I will explain you a simple technique to add shading to an object using the Mesh Tool.
1. Draw an ellipse using the Ellipse Tool (L) or any other shape. Fill it with any dark color.
2. Choose the mesh tool from the toolbox and click anywhere on the ellipse where you want the shading.
3. Choose a lighter shade for the shading.
4. Now using the Direct Selection Tool (A) move the anchor points to change their position.
5. Similarly you can create multiple and complex meshes to add shadows and depth to the objects.
Filed Under: Adobe Illustrator
About the Author: Minal is a freelance web and graphics designer. She specializes in designing Logos, Stationery, Graphics and Icons as well as website templates using graphical tools like Photoshop, Illustrator and Expression Web. Twitter @saffronstroke