You must be aware of HTML 5 is going to be the all-in-one standard replacing HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 So with HTML 5 becoming a web standard, the Microsoft team has come up with an add-in for EW4 that will enable the new HTML5 schema to check your code markup for errors and give IntelliSense for HTML5 tags, attributes and values in the code view.
EW 4 has a doctype for HTML 5. To use the HTML 5 doctype in Expression Web 4, follow these steps:
1. Tools > Page Editor Options… > Authoring tab.
2. Under the Doctype and Secondary Schema section, choose the Doctype and the secondary schema (from the drop down menu) as HTML 5.
So now all your new documents will have the HTML 5 Doctype and it is written as;
Now you can create HTML 5 pages by hand. The HTML5 Schema Configuration Add-In for Expression Web enables the new HTML5 schema to check your code markup for errors and gives IntelliSense for HTML5 tags, attributes and values in the code view.
Download the HTML5 Schema Configuration Add-In for Expression Web and follow these steps for installation”:
1. Launch EW4.
2. Tools > Add-Ins… In the Manage Add-ins dialog box, click on Install.
3. In the Open Expression Web Add-in File dialog box, browse to the directory where the add-in was saved and click Open. The add-in will be installed.
4. Click ‘Yes’ when Expression Web asks you to enable the add-in. If the add-in has been installed correctly, it will be listed in the Manage Add-ins dialog box as shown here;
5. Close the session of EW4 and run it as Administrator (right click on EW4 icon and choose Run as administrator). An HTML 5 button will now appear on the Standard Toolbar, as shown here;
6. Click the button to configure the HTML 5 schema.
7. Click on Enable HTML 5 button to update the EW HTML 5 schemas. Close the dialog box and restart EW4.
8. Now set the Doctype and Secondary Schema to HTML 5 under Tools > Page Editor Options… > Authoring tab.
Expression Web 4 now provides IntelliSense for HTML 5 elements, attributes and their values.
Read more about the HTML 5 add-in over here.
Filed Under: Expression Web
About the Author: Minal is a freelance web and graphics designer. She specializes in designing Logos, Stationery, Graphics and Icons as well as website templates using graphical tools like Photoshop, Illustrator and Expression Web. Twitter @saffronstroke